Police locate suspects in overnight robberies

Liz Butterfield
Online News Editor

Police have “located” suspects in connection to two armed robberies that took place near campus overnight, according to an alert sent to students around 9:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.

The first robbery occurred at approximately 1:00 a.m. in the south alley of 1101 W. Main Street. A single victim was struck in the face and robbed at gunpoint by three black males. The victim was unable to provide any other description or details to police.

Less than 15 minutes later, a second robbery occurred near the 000 block of S. Morris Street. Two suspects allegedly robbed a male victim at gunpoint and stole his wallet and cell phone. Although one of the suspects was quickly apprehended, the other was last seen fleeing north on Morris, then east onto Park Avenue into campus.

The two suspects in the second robbery both work dark baggy jeans and white shirts, and one may have been wearing an orange colored hat.

VCU alerted students to the first incident via text message shortly before 1:30 a.m. on Sunday. A second message was sent minutes later to the crime near Harrison and Grove streets, urging students to stay indoors and avoid the area.  The university also sounded the campus-wide siren system to warn students.

The robberies are the most recent in a string of off-campus crimes in the last two weeks, including a stabbing on the corner of Ryland and Franklin streets, and a fatal shooting across from the Broad and Belvidere Apartments last Thursday.

2 Comments