SPECTRUM SCRUFF: The No-Shave November Series

Throughout the month of November, Spectrum will follow three students as they participate in No-Shave November. No-Shave November encourages everyone to abandon their razors for a month and see how long their beards or underarm hair can grow. Every Monday, check back with Spectrum to see how they are growing.

Every November, men across America take part in No-Shave November, choosing to drop their razors for a month and see how far their beards can go.

No-Shave November is a variation of the original  Australian Movember. Movember focuses on growing only a mustache and is often a way to raise awareness about men’s health isues. The hope is that people will ask the men why they are growing a mustache and the men can then explain the issues, such as pancreatic and prostate cancer.
No-Shave November is generally not a charity or awareness-based event, but some organizations, such as St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, offer a contest to grow the best beard.  All money paid to enter the contest is a donation to the cause.
Throughout November, Spectrum will be following three students who have chosen to participate in No-Shave November and have the growth of their beard and underarm hair documented.

Andy Utterback is a junior history major who has participated in No-Shave November in the past.  Utterback has also admitted to only being able to grow a handsome goatee, the only flaw in his beard growing ability.

Andrew Gregory is a junior biology major who generally keeps a long beard, but chose to trim it short for Spectrum Scruff.

Katy Marchese is a sophomore communication arts major who normally does not shave her underarms or legs.  For Spectrum Scruff, Marchese will be growing out her underarm hair.

After their first five days of beard and underarm hair growth, Scruffers were asked what are the best and worst parts of growing their beard or underarm hair. 

Andrew Gregory

Andrew Gregory

“The best part is that my beard is a like a warm hug on my face. It does get a little toasty in the summer though. The worst part is that it saves food. That’s a little awkward.”

Katy Marchese

Katy Marchese

“The best part is that I don’t cut myself shaving. I don’t have to worry about shaving or feel bad if I do forget. The worst part is that it’s going to start being really itchy. I’m kind of excited but I’m worried it’s not going to be that impressive.”

Andy Utterback

Andy Utterback

“The best part is that it is one less thing that I have to do in the morning. I can’t think of a thing that is the worst. I’ve never succumbed to the itch of growing a beard.”