Club lacrosse looks to lead Tidewater region

Miles Wilhelm

“Roll, pass! Roll, pass! Pass without taking a step!” head coach Adam Cohen of the VCU club lacrosse team was keying in on fundamentals in practice on Friday afternoon.

The Rams lacrosse players were preparing themselves for a big tournament up in College Park, Md. this past weekend.

The VCU club lacrosse team will take part in an alumni game Oct. 6 at Cary Street Field. Photo by Amber-Lynn Taber.

VCU club lacrosse is part of the NCLL Division II Tidewater conference which includes Christopher Newport and Old Dominion universities.

The Rams were excited and optimistic about the NCLL Fall Brawl tournament. They faced off against George Mason and Kutztown.

VCU lacrosse has been a successful club team for a number of years, and is planning its sixth annual alumni game.

During practice, Coach Cohen isn’t the only person helping instruct and showing the players what needs to be done. There are plenty of veteran players on this team and they lend their hand in guiding the younger players while on the field.

Members of the VCU club lacrosse team come from all over and from many different teams, but the togetherness of the team is very strong, and their like-minded mentality helps them on the field.

Outside the homely confines of Cary Street Field, the players are just as close, hanging out together in Shafer or around campus.

This weekend the Rams are hoping to improve upon a 6-5 season in the spring semester and fight for the Division II title and lead of the Tidewater region.