Smart declines job with Illinois, remains at VCU

Jim Swing
Sports Editor

VCU men’s basketball head coach Shaka Smart took his name off the coaching carousel Wednesday afternoon by announcing he will remain with the Rams.

The announcement put an end to any speculation that he might be the next coach at Illinois after Illini athletic director Mike Thomas reportedly showed interest in the 34-year-old head coach.

Illinois offered Smart as much as more than $2 million per season, according to CBSSports.com’s Gary Parrish.

“Coach Smart recognizes – as do the rest of the university community, alumni and fans – that VCU is the place to be right now,” said VCU President Michael Rao in a statement released by the university. “He continues to demonstrate his commitment to VCU and its pursuit of excellence athletically and academically.

“Under his leadership, the success of the VCU basketball program and our scholar athletes raises the bar for national research universities and intercollegiate athletics.”

After serving assistant coaching gigs at Akron, Clemson and Florida, Smart hopped on board at VCU in 2009 following the departure of Anthony Grant, who left the school to pursue a head-coaching job at Alabama.

One year after leading VCU to its first-ever Final Four in and receiving interest from high-major schools such as N.C. State and Maryland in 2011, Smart decided to stay put once again. Smart led one of the youngest teams in the country to the Rams’ third Colonial Athletic Association championships in five years.

Smart said he is not pursuing any other coaching offers that might come his way.

“I am very grateful for the support and belief in the coaching staff and basketball program that comes from the very top of our university’s leadership – President Rao, athletic director Norwood Teague and the VCU Board of Visitors – as well as our phenomenal fans,” Smart said. “There are great things to accomplish at VCU and I’m looking forward to building on the successes of our program and university.”

In his first three years at VCU, Smart has led the Rams to 84 wins, the second most of any head coach in his first three years in NCAA history. He boasts a 17-4 record in postseason play.

Smart immediately drew interest from Illinois after the firing of former head coach Bruce Weber back in early March.

Following VCU’s historical run through the NCAA Tournament a year ago, Smart signed an eight-year contract that pays $1.2 million annually.

The university’s release said Smart has agreed in principle to some changes in his current contract, the details of which are being finalized.

“The agreement reflects Coach Smart’s continued focus on his players, coaches, the men’s basketball program and its contributions to a great university,” Teague said.