Break Point remodels over winter break

Break Point's makeover includes more power outlets and decreased rates for games like pool.

Shannon Wood

Break Point Games and Lounge underwent a makeover during winter break as the University Student Commons sought to combine Break Point and the student hangout and the Underground into one facility.

Authorities renovated the space in an effort to create more of a lounge-like atmosphere for students.

The pool tables, a favorite among frequenters, have decreased in number from 10 to five tables. To outweigh the subtraction of those tables, the rate is now just $1 an hour instead of $5.

“It’s nice for the students who have a half-hour break between classes,” manager Jim Konecny said. “I’ve been working for a while to get the pricing down for students.”

Among the additions are new TVs and Comcast cable boxes, so different groups of students can watch different programs at the same time. Two of the new 46-inch TVs will offer a Wii and Xbox, where students can rent controllers at $1 per hour.

New electrical wiring along the walls and tables offers more opportunities for students to charge their laptops and phones while playing games or studying. Two new, custom-built bar tops also house power strips.

Though it reopened over winter break, this upcoming Monday marks the official launch of the new renovations. The event will feature prizes and tournaments, while the 70-inch TV will be airing the VCU-Hofstra basketball game. Food will be provided.