Women’s basketball signs four new recruits in NCAA early signing period

Beth Cunningham's high expectations are a personal challenge to Courtney Hurt. Photo by Chris Conway.

Staff Reports

Photo by Chris Conway

After boasting a highly touted recruiting class in 2011, VCU women’s basketball head coach Beth Cunningham mirrored that same notion in putting next year’s newcomers together.

The program announced Thursday that it has signed four new recruits in the NCAA’s early signing period.

ESPN.com listed Cunningham and Co.’s 2012 recruiting class among the top 20 mid-major classes in the country.

Adaeze Alaeze

5’10

Guard/Forward

Baltimore, MD. / Roland Park Country School

• Alaeze averaged 15.0 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.8 steals per game at Roland Park last season, which earned her first team All-Metro accolades from the Baltimore Sun.
  • Three-time all-star selection by the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland (IAAM).
  • Alaeze is just 31 points shy of 1,000 career points, which currently ranks fourth all-time at Roland Park.
  • Ranked 85th in the country in guards by ESPN Hoopgurlz and the 62nd-ranked small forward by Dan Olsen Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.
  • Considered the 399th overall ranked player in the country by ESPN Hoopgurlz scout Brandon Clay’s Jump Off Plus recruiting service.

Janniina Koivunen

6’1

Forward

Helsinki, Finland / New Hope Christian Academy

• Recorded 11.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.0 steals per game for Oak Ridge Military Academy in Oak Ridge, N.C., which finished the 2010-11 season 25-7.
  • Considered the 209th overall ranked player in the country by ESPN Hoopgurlz scout Brandon Clay’s Jump Off Plus recruiting service.
  • Koivunen will help replace the void senior Courtney Hurt will leave at the forward position once she graduates.

Jessica Pellechio

5’8

Guard

Annandale, N.J. / North Hunterdon

• Two-time All-State and All-County selection in her hometown of Annadale, N.J.
  • Helped lead North Hunterdon to the State Group 4 championship as a sophomore.
  • Helped North Hunterdon to a Skyland Conference-Delaware Division title, while reaching the North Jersey Section 2 Group 4 state semifinals with a 25-3 record as a junior.
  • Known for her perimeter shooting, Pellechio averaged 14.0 points per game each of the last two seasons.
  • In the 1,000 career point club and holds North Hunterdon’s all-time 3-point field goal record with more than 160 in her current high school career.
  • Rather than playing softball for North Hunterdon in the spring, Pellechio decided to concentrate solely on her basketball career.

Jenice Winter

5’10

Guard/Forward

Brooklyn, N.Y. / South Shore

• Helped South Shore High School to the Public Schools Atlantic League Class “AA” Finals last year.
  • Averaged 10.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in her junior year and helped lead the Vikings to an undefeated record in league play while finishing 19-5.
  • Listed as the 181st overall ranked player in the country by ESPN Hoopgurlz scout Brandon Clay’s Jump Off Plus recruiting service.
  • Given an 89 scouts grade on ESPN.com, Winter is listed as the 37th-ranked wing in the 2012 class by ESPN Hoopgurlz.