Occupy Richmond meets with Mayor Jones

While Mayor Jones managed to avoid occupiers next door to his house, he did agree to meet with Occupy Richmond representatives to discuss their grievances and requests for legal occupation. As of now, protesters stay camped out within view of Jones’ home (above) and plan to celebrate Thanksgiving at their camp. Photo by Chris Conway.

As Occupy Richmond settles into its new location next door to Richmond mayor Dwight Jones, the group is also confronting the mayor in other parts of the city.

On Thursday, six representatives from the local Occupy movement met with Mayor Jones to discuss the goals and motivations of the movement.

While nothing was decided at the meeting, and protesters will continue to occupy next door to the mayor’s home, the occupation is now discussing ways in which to go about achieving a legal occupation. Right now, the group is safe from police intervention because their location is private property.

Occupy Richmond has already been removed from Kanawha Plaza and was unable to set up camp in Monroe Park when they attempted to occupy there Nov. 9.

The group is now in the lawn of Raymond Boone, the editor and publisher of the Richmond Free Press, who shares a driveway with Mayor Jones. Boone welcomed the occupiers through an editorial.

According to Occupy Richmond’s website, occupants and Boone are also planning to celebrate Thanksgiving together at the camp.

From staff reports