Accidental flooding in Brandt Hall inconveniences residents

The 15th and 16th floors of Brandt Hall experienced water damage due to the flooding. Colin Martin, who accidentally broke a sprinkler in his dorm room, said he damaged his own valuables and will have to replace his TV, radio and alarm clock in addition to any costs the university will pass on to him.

Michael Pasco
Contributing Writer

The 15th and 16th floors of Brandt Hall experienced water damage due to the flooding. Colin Martin, who accidentally broke a sprinkler in his dorm room, said he damaged his own valuables and will have to replace his TV, radio and alarm clock in addition to any costs the university will pass on to him.

Freshman residents of Brandt and Rhoads Halls thought the fire drill on Sunday, Oct. 2 was just that: a drill.

In reality, it wasn’t a drill, and it wasn’t for a fire.

The 16th floor of Brandt Hall was flooding.

“I had a t-shirt hanging from a sprinkler, and it just broke,” Colin Martin, the freshman who caused the accidental flood on the 16th floor of Brandt, said. “It just started flooding. We tried to grab what was most valuable and put it in the common room.”

The broken sprinkler set off the rest of the emergency response within the dorms.

“This guy ran out of his room soaked in water,” Brandt resident Jake Moore said. “He was saying that he hung something on his sprinkler head and yanked it off, and it broke the red seal, and now all his stuff is ruined.”

Residents on both the 16th and 15th floors were affected by the flooding. In the room directly under Martin’s room, paint was visibly running off the wall.

On the 16th floor, damage extended beyond just the building.

“I had a drawing in there that I spent 9 hours on,” 16th-floor resident Nathan Wunderlich said. “The sprinkler ate my homework.”

For students who didn’t experience damage from the flooding, some simply felt inconvenienced.

“They lost time, but at least they didn’t lose any of their stuff,” Brandt resident Torez Grandison said. “(Martin) wasn’t trying to break the sprinkler on purpose. People are just upset that they lost time.”

The normal card-swiping system that grants students access to the building was down after the alarm and required security personnel to check each resident manually in a printed log. Elevators were also temporarily out of service.

“Everyone has accidents,” Martin said. “We had to run out there soaking wet with the cold wind blowing. I have to pay for this and my big-screen TV and my radio and my alarm clock. That’s punishment right there.”

Brandt and Rhoads Halls’ eventful week didn’t end after the mini-flood. On Tuesday, Oct. 4, another alarm required students to temporarily evacuate the buildings because of an overloaded outlet starting a small fire.

The fire caused minimal damage to an outlet, and Residential Life and Housing sent an email to residents reminding them of safe handling of electrical outlets and plugs.

Photos by Amber-Lynn Taber 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply