Student Art Space curators satisfy childhood need to scribble on things

Photo by Chris Conway

Samantha Foster
Commonwealth Times’ Twitter

For the next two weeks, anyone who walks into the Student Art Space in the University Commons will have the opportunity to have their own art featured in the gallery.

This year's Student Art Space curators (from left to right): senior sculpture major Egbert Vongmalaithong, senior sculpture major Cameron Robinson and sophomore communications arts major Philip Wisenhunt. VCUarts faculty select new student curators for the space every year.

“Soapbox Project: Art at the Commons” is the first installation by this year’s Student Art Space curators, senior sculpture majors Cameron Robinson and Egbert Vongmalaithong and sophomore communication arts major Philip Wisenhunt.

The exhibit, which opened this past Friday, invites students to “grab paper and markers, draw a box, freestyle around it and tape it up” onto the bright green wall. Markers, 11-by-17-inch paper and tape are provided.

“It’s about actively changing what is up on the wall,” Robinson said.

Students are already getting creative with the curators’ directions at the opening event.

As communication arts major Skype Young said, “It’s interesting to see what people think of a box. It can be containers, or space, or anything.”

Interpretations ranged from box jellyfish, to box families, to the Tardis from “Doctor Who.”

“I like that the exhibit gets people involved … it becomes their own art,” said Chris Lewis, a painting and printmaking major at VCU.

Students are welcome to go to the Student Art Space at any time over the next two weeks and add their own box-inspired art. The “Soapbox Project: Art at the Commons” is open to the entire student body, not just VCUarts students.

Visitors to the exhibit are given markers, a sheet of 11-by-17-inch paper and scotch tape and are allowed to create the content of the exhibit themselves. Photo by Christina Lyon
Photo by Christina Lyon
Photo by Chris Conway