New faces: men’s soccer

Daniel Haehre, striker
Haehre is one of two recruits this season from Scandinavia, with Norway  being his home country. The 5-foot-9-inch striker is a quick and versatile player who could play in any number of different roles as a forward in Giffard’s system.

Garett Cyprus, goalkeeper
Cyprus is a player that comes from a new breeding of development in North American soccer: professional team’s academy ranks. Cyprus played for MLS’ Toronto F.C. Academy team and also was a member of Canada’s under-17 national team setup.

Ragnar Leosson, midfielder
Leosson is another international player Giffard plucked this off-season. The Akranes, Iceland native has already played for his country at the under-17 and under-19 level and will likely progress up the hierarchy to represent them at the under-21 level as well.

Juan Arbelaez, midfielder
Arbelaez joins VCU after two years at Georgia Permiter College, an associate-degree granting unit of the University of Georgia. Before that, the 5-foot-8-inch midfielder netted a sizeable 51 goals and 70 assists during his high school career.

Leo Kowalski, striker
Kowalski is a Richmond native that, in his youth, began his career in Brazil and eventually ended up with the Richmond Kickers Academy team. The striker has a high work rate, good technical skills and a sound finishing ability.

Kharlton Belmar, striker
Another Virginia native, Belmar comes to VCU from Virginia Beach. The pacy striker won a ridiculous number of awards in high school and is noted for his strength and sheer speed.