‘Back to School Jam Comedy Show’ ticket sales a massive letdown

Mark Robinson
Assistant Spectrum Editor

“Last Comic Standing” finalist Ralphie May and Aries Spears of “MADtv” will take the stage at the Back to School Jam Comedy Show at the Siegel Center Saturday night at 8 p.m., concluding VCU Welcome Week 2011.

Although last year’s Back to School Show featured Asher Roth and B.o.B., the Activities Programming Board’s decision to book comedians instead of musicians for this year’s show is not unprecedented, Carolyn Whittier, a faculty advisor to the student board, explained.

“The Back to School Jam is different every year. Last year it was a concert, the year before that it was a dance and this year it is a comedy show,” Whittier said. “The students work within their given budget to find the best opportunities for the event.”

Ikedra King, president of the activities programming board, said Comedy Central’s Daniel Tosh and actor Kevin Hart were also considered for the event but were ultimately not chosen because of budget constraints and scheduling issues.

“Ralphie May is right in the spotlight now after his national win, and Aries Spears is just classic,” King said. “We knew with the change of format that we would need big-time names in order for a good attendance turnout.”

Despite King’s hope that May and Spears will pique student interest, Thuan Tat, an employee of Breakpoint Games, disclosed that only 400 tickets had been sold as of Tuesday afternoon, a fraction of the 4,000 that have been made available to students.

Many students questioned about the show were either unsure of who May and Spears were, or unaware of the event even happening. Both of which may be a result of a lack of advertisement on the part of the Activities Programming Board.

“I like comedy, but I really didn’t know who they were until they were booked,” sophomore Noelle Choy said of May and Spears. “I have a ticket, but there’s only like a 30 percent chance I’ll go.”

Although ticket sales have been slow, King is optimistic that the students in attendance will enjoy themselves at the show.

“Our expectation as a student-run organization is to reach as many students as possible. We want to give them a great finale to the Welcome Week events here at VCU.”

Tickets are available at Breakpoint Games in the Student Commons and are free to all VCU students with a valid ID.