Local publishing company, record label is small but successful

Mechelle Hankerson
Assistant Spectrum Editor

Sink/Swim Press began two years ago when VCU graduate student James Moffitt graduated with his bachelor’s degree and self-released his own book, “Swamp Gospels.”

Since then, Sink/Swim has grown beyond just publishing books and also functions as a small record label.

Moffitt expanded the staff of Sink/Swim last year after the release of “The Great Richmond Zombie Book” by bringing on VCU junior Morris Reese as editorial director.

According to Reese, who copy edits most of the writing that comes through Sink/Swim, he and Moffitt look for writers who are as interested in books and literature as they are.

“We’re looking for Richmond authors, people who are interested in DIY, people who are interested in … good Richmond literature and understand there’s a whole culture of young students and older people too … who really like literature but don’t have the voice to publish books,” Reese said.

Moffitt began the company by working multiple jobs and said that most of the expenses for the projects come out of his pocket, but both him and Reese hope that projects will begin paying for futures projects.

“We never wanted to personally make any money; we just wanted to see books,” said Reese.

The company has deals with bookstores in several east coast bookstores, including stores in Fredericksburg, Washington D.C. and Charleston, and are currently working on a deal to distribute to Philadelphia.

Sink/Swim is also gearing up for a release by Moffitt’s band, American Ruins, a summer release for the local band, In Courage, and a late summer release of the compilation “Front Porch Flash Fiction.”

Reese says that Sink/Swim looks for works that are professional, and they don’t choose works that are any one specific genre.

“The thing is, if you get a manuscript and its completely illegible … it almost feels like there’s no respect there for us,” Reese said.

“I will say when I started the company I was getting like 10 or 15 fairy manuscripts a day because I had advertised on Craigslist, and I pretty much rejected those flat out,” Moffitt said.

“That’s not to say if you write a really good book about fairies, we won’t publish it,” Reese said.

To view guidelines and how to submit to Sink/Swim Press, visit sinkswimpress.com or email sinkswimpress@gmail.com.