Freshman Brandenberg blossoming into big-time player

Scott Wyant
Contributing writer

The greatest basketball player to ever play the game, Michael Jordan, made wearing the number 23 a great honor and a great burden.

For the player wearing number 23 on the VCU men’s basketball team, the comparisons don’t stop at the jersey number.

Ohio native and freshman student Rob Brandenberg has a unique connection with “His Airness.” Both were cut from their varsity basketball teams their sophomore year in high school, and in Brandenberg’s case that meant not starting varsity play until his junior year.

He made the most of his late start. Brandenberg helped lead his Lincoln High School team to the state semifinals during his senior season. On the journey state semifinals, his Lincoln squad beat the No. 1 team in the nation with the nation’s highest rated recruit – current Ohio State freshman, Jared Sullinger.

“Every game, every AAU event, you had to bring it unless you were gonna get embarrassed off the court,” Brandenberg said.

If Brandenberg seems more like a junior or senior on the court, it’s because he began playing in third grade and never looked back.

“In third grade, I was doing anything I wanted on the court,” Brandenberg said. “My mom always told me you got a talent and I believed her and been pursuing my dream ever since.”

It wasn’t just Brandenberg’s mom who pushed him to where he is today. His older brother Reggie Moore helped mold him into the person and player he is today.

“When I was little, he was always in high school or middle school playing basketball,” Brandenberg said. “He’s taught me a lot of things. He taught me how to behave myself and how to play the game of basketball.”

Now he is no longer watching his brother play on the court. Instead, thousands of Ram fans pack the Siegel Center to watch Brandenberg and his teammates play.

The smooth transition is unusual for most incoming freshmen. The adjustment to the college game and being hundreds of miles from home makes it hard for most to contribute right away.

But for Brandenberg, the impact has been immediate. Coming off the bench, he helps ignite an offense that averages 73 points per game.

His ability to spark the team hasn’t been more apparent than VCU’s game on Dec. 4, against a gritty William & Mary team. Trailing late in the game, VCU brought the freshman off the bench to guard Tribe point guard, Matt Rum. Two plays later, Brandenberg had two steals, a breakaway dunk and four points.

“Coach can put me out there and make big plays, sparking the team whenever I come off the bench just instant energy, defense [and] offense always,” Brandenberg said.

A little more than a month after the first William & Mary matchup, Brandenberg torched the Tribe to the tune of a career high 22 points off the bench. He scored 19 of his 22 points in the second half, hitting on nine of his 13 shots, including four of eight from beyond the 3-point arc on the night.

Coach Shaka Smart’s HAVOC 2.0 system capitalizes on Brandenberg’s athletic frame. Standing only 6 foot 2 inches, he is undersized to guard most shooting guards. But what he lacks in height, he makes up for in his long 6 foot 7 inch wingspan and impressive vertical leap.

“We know what we’re going to get from Rob and that’s a lot of energy and quickness on the defensive end,” Smart said. “Rob has a tremendous future ahead of him. He’s a quick learner and works really hard at getting better everyday, which for a coach, is a great thing to have in a freshman.”

Senior guard Joey Rodriguez also sees the potential in his teammate.

“Rob’s extremely talented on the court, but what’s even better is how hard he works and just wants to be a great teammate,” Rodriguez said.

While watching Brandenberg on the court many adjectives come to mind: smooth, athletic, aggressive, long and smart. But perhaps the way he describes himself is the most spot-on.

“Rob Brandenberg is a VCU Ram.”