Album review: Smith Westerns, “Dye It Blonde”

Sabrina Barekzai

Having recorded their self-titled 2009 debut in a basement, Chicago natives Smith Westerns graduated to a studio to record their dynamic sophomore album.

This change of recording venue is evident on each of the 10 lush pop gems on “Dye It Blonde.” The LP, which will see release on Jan. 18 from Fat Possum Records, is a foot-stomping album full of sing-alongs, twirling vocals and eclectic riffs.

From funky opener “Weekend” to the album’s closer “Dye the World,” this album is a enchanting glorification of youth. The fuzzy ’70s guitars rampant on their debut album are not too far gone, though the focus is placed instead on harmonious guitar wails that melt alongside lead singer Cullen Omori’s voice.

Omori and his bandmates seem to have perfected a niche in incorporating glam rock elements but still maintaining a dreamy summer sound.

“Dye It Blonde” also provides variety while seamlessly meshing its elements together, creating an enlivened album where each track explores a different memory of  a carefree (or careless) youth.

The youthful exuberance evident on songs like “Dance Away” may be due to each of the four band members being between the age of 18 and 20 – and for such young guys to record an album with classic hooks like “Dye It Blonde” is beyond impressive.

In a culture obsessed with youth and its tribulations, Smith Westerns’ fresh-faced charm on “Dye It Blonde” is purely endearing rather than hackneyed, which is no easy feat.

Grade: A