A more subtle resolution

Ashley Major

Columnist

The statistics of New Year’s resolutions are working against us – an estimated 75 percent of American adults will not stick to their resolutions past the first week.

Given the small chance of successfully meeting these unattainable standards, which according to studies typically include losing weight, exercising more, quitting smoking and managing money better – why not aim to bear the odds and commit to practical goals this year?

On Jan. 1 one is pressured to make a list of several personal goals that more often than not end in guilt and failure. As college students, most of us are struggling trying to balance the chaos of a life we already lead, let alone consciously working on other areas besides the required.

Case in point: New Year’s resolutions are often unsuccessful because they often lack an reachable goal. Making resolutions should not be about a complete metamorphosis into a “new you,” but rather subtle changes and tips one should follow to enhance their new year.

While individual goals might differ, the following suggestions are three subtle changes and tips that can be incorporated almost effortlessly into everyday life.

When I recently forgot my Blackberry at home for the day, I had a near panic-attack. Not because I was expecting an important call, but rather because I am completely addicted.

As the panic wore off and the day went on, it actually became very pleasant to be away from my handheld obsession and not be listening for a ping sound.

This brings me to my first New Year’s resolution: Turn your phone off for an hour or two everyday. Everywhere you look people are texting and talking – out to eat at a restaurant, in class, walking down the street. I believe it is a necessary change for 2011 that we put down our “crackberries” and actually talk to the person eating in front of you or look up and notice how beautiful Richmond is while walking to class.

On average, children laugh 400 times a day while typically adults only laugh 16 times a day. This unsettling notion leads us to the second New Year change: Find more to laugh about. While it may sound inane, laughing has both mental and suggested physical health benefits.

Comedian Steve Martin takes five minutes every morning to look in the mirror and laugh, explaining that it starts his day off right. In the dreary winter months, throughout personal, school and work pressures, having a good laugh will undoubtedly lighten any somber mood.

The common resolution of saving money is one that many struggle with due to lack of structure or unrealistic financial goals. In difficult economic times, money is spread thin. Many are living paycheck-to-paycheck and are inadequately prepared for an emergency.

This brings us to the third and final New Year resolution: Put away at least 15 dollars a week. For the price of going out to eat one time, you can save that money and essentially equate almost $800 in savings by December with making relatively no change to your lifestyle. Though the amount of money put away each week is somewhat irrelevant, the habitual act of saving a certain amount weekly is what will eventually pay off.

Goal setting is essential for success. By stating your goals in achievable terms (i.e. “lose one pound a week” vs. “lose weight”) you are much more likely to succeed. We are more likely to improve general disposition through making subtle changes instead. A new year brings about much opportunity for improvement and growth. The key to its success, however, is making a resolution feel less like a punishment and more like a personal daily goal.