Sports Briefs (1st edit)

Women’s Volleyball
VCU volleyball suffered another tough loss to Delaware (26-24, 25-16, 20-25, 25-16) for the third straight time this season. VCU (12-20) was looking to repeat its heroics from the 2005 season, when the Rams became the first No. 4 seed to capture the CAA championship. However, destiny was not in the Rams favor, as the Blue Hens hit .376 and got 50 assists from two-time CAA Setter of the Year Jess Chason.
Despite Jessica Ojukwu’s 13 kills, the Rams fell out of CAA contention with a 3-1 loss to the No. 1-seeded Blue Hens. Ojukwu hit .423 to help VCU in her finest performance of the season. Also, sophomore Kristin Boyd recorded 12 kills and hit .526. Boyd also supplied four blocks. Senior Kelsie Clegg (Boise, Idaho) added nine kills and three blocks for the Rams. VCU will be back in action this Friday when they face Albany (N.Y.) in the final game of the season.

Women’s Basketball
After defeating Virginia Tech 72-58 last season, VCU dropped its second game of the season to the Hokies 63-61. Junior Courtney Hurt posted her third-straight double-double leading all scorers with 26 points and 11 rebounds for the Rams. Freshman Jacqueline Brewer scored 14 points, while junior Jennifer Lane finished with 11 points, five rebounds and five assists.VCU meets Virginia Tech today for the second year in a row and the 28th time in school history. The Rams have won three straight, but the Hokies lead the all-time series 17-10. Last year, VCU defeated Virginia Tech in its season opener, 72-58. The previous two VCU victories came during the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns.