“Big-boxing” Carytown

Colin Hannfin
Columnist

Big box retailing could be coming to Carytown. Developers are looking to transform a recently vacated 41,821 square foot Verizon office into retail space. While the developers, Maryland Financial Realty, stress that considerations are leaning towards grocery stores, banks, or restaurants, many concerned citizens and fans of Carytown have come together to create Don’t Big Box Carytown, a group formed to fight the development. Of particular concern to Don’t Big Box Carytown is the possibility that Walmart may find the space appealing because of the crowds the area attracts, snatching it up which is a move they feel might jeopardize Carytown’s small, local shops. Developers have stated that Walmart is in no way being considered for the space. However, Don’t Big Box Carytown doesn’t have to worry about Walmart in Carytown, and not because of the developer’s assurances.
Maryland Financial Realty may stress that they are not looking to sell this large space to Walmart. If Walmart comes calling, they are unlikely to turn them away. Simply put, Walmart, with its considerable clout and promise of massive revenues has a way of getting what it wants. Two years ago, Walmart bought and planned to develop a commercial plot in Orange County, Virginia, across the street from the Wilderness battlefield. Immediately, groups sprang up to contest the development. While there is still a case in court concerning whether employees felt pressured to support the development, a Walmart is being constructed on the site.
Nevertheless, would Walmart actually serve to ruin Carytown? If the cards are played right, Walmart can be a best friend. Wherever they go, they bring a promise of crowds of customers. The customers to those small shops in Carytown would increase—their biggest draw is the unique personality each shop has. While Walmart might undercut some of their prices, they can’t beat the personality of all those small, local shops. The concern of Don’t Big Box Carytown is understandable, but perhaps unneeded. If the small shops respond well, a Walmart could be their biggest boon, not their biggest enemy.
In any event, for all the concern of Don’t Big Box Carytown, it seems highly unlikely that Walmart would pursue development on the site. Besides the Carytown crowds, there would be little to draw in the Walmart brand. It’s a tight, close spaced, located on Nansemond Street, just north of Carytown Burgers and Fries. There’s parking, but it’s underground. It’s far from the typical Walmart store—away from regions crowded with storefronts with acres upon acres of parking. Walmart already has three stores: Brook Road, Short Pump, and Mechanicsville, each no more than a half-hour drive from the site and it seems a fourth in such close proximity would yield marginal benefits at best.
Maryland Financial Realty is stressing that they are not looking to sell the site to Walmart, but if Walmart wants to buy, who would be able to stop them? Walmart brings a promise of crowds—it would be a whole new market for the Carytown shops to capitalize on. However, Walmart interest seems unlikely, given the current layout of the site. Regardless, Don’t Big Box Carytown continues their fight against the development, and understandably so. Carytown is a beloved part of the local Richmond flair, and deserves to be preserved.