VCU welcomes the class of 2014

Junelynn Tran

Keys? Check. New TV? Check. Kettle Corn? Why not.

Over the weekend, approximately 3,650 freshman flooded Monroe Park moving into on-campus housing with the help of families and a small army of VCU Residential Life and Housing greeters.

In coordination with the Richmond Police, traffic on both Main and Franklin Street ground to a halt as officers shut down street parking and reserved lanes for freshman move-in only. Families received color-coded parking passes indicating which loading zones and parking decks were reserved for them. Parking officials allotted each family 30 minutes to unload in front of dorms before asking them to move to long-term parking decks. Several tow trucks loomed nearby as a reminder for families to keep moving.

About 60 yellow-shirted greeters waited outside residence halls. They provided water bottles, helpful directions and extra sets of arms, unpacking car after car until the final family cleared the loading area.

After signing into receive room and mailbox keys, new students entered their dorms and met their Resident Assistant.

Not everything about Move-In day was stressful. In Monroe Park there were many festivities to help students and their families relax after unpacking; such as chair massages, a mechanical bull ride and a magician. About 9,000 bottles of water were offered courtesy of the VCU Alumni Association, along with kettle corn and “I Love VCU” buttons. Volunteers from fraternities and sororities wore green shirts and helped guide students and family members to recycling bins.

The planning process took nine months to prepare, according to Jane Firer, associate director of administrative operations in university housing. “It’s a mixture of stress and anticipation,” said Firer. “It’s gratifying to see the process work out successfully.”

In all, about 5,000 students will live in on-campus housing this year, filling the dorms to capacity.