‘Sex Talk Live’ to answer student questions, health concerns

Erica Terrini

News Editor

The sex education event Sex Talk Live will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Commonwealth Ballrooms of the University Student Commons.

Voices for Planned Parenthood is hosting the event, which will feature Shawn McNulty, the director of health outreach for Fan Free Clinic and Liz Canfield, an instructor from the women’s studies department.

Canfield said she and McNulty will answer students’ questions based on sex, sexuality, gender and identity, among other topics.

“We take every question very seriously, but we do use humor,” Canfield said. “Obviously any questions that we get, we’re happy to get.”

Canfield said the event speakers do not use humor to belittle questions but to “lighten the mood a little bit—to try to ease folks up and make them more comfortable.”

The atmosphere is open, Canfield said. She said the speakers always portray sex and sexuality in a positive light.

Students will be able to directly ask Canfield or McNulty their questions or write them on note cards, which a facilitator will read aloud for responses.

“There are a lot of questions about (sexually transmitted diseases) and more medical questions,” Canfield said. “But there are a lot questions about the body.”

Canfield said the student organization hosts Sex Talk Live once every semester.

Fan Free Clinic provides contraceptives at the event for students.

For more information visit the Voices for Planned Parenthood Facebook page: VOX @ VCU.