Wild west casino night aids cancer research

Erica Terrini

News Editor

The stigma of the old west reigned true with about 20 students, who gathered in the Richmond Salons in the University Student Commons Saturday night for the Relay for Life Casino Night.

The annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life is set for April 17 and the Relay for Life Committee has been hosting fundraising events in preparation for the event.

Tiffany Bell, a junior creative advertising major and publicity chair for Relay for Life Committee, said planning for the relay began immediately after the 2009 relay.

“(Casino night) is our bigger fundraiser to really help teams get together,” Bell said. “Throughout the year we really help build teams for the main event.”

The casino night offered the games for students including poker, black jack and roulette. Participants could also enter a raffle for prizes or bid in a silent auction. Luminaries and photos from a themed photo booth were sold. All of the proceeds went directly to the ACS.

Maria McClintock, a junior chemical life sciences engineering major, said she decided to attend the casino night when she saw the posters advertising for the event.

“It’s a good cause,” McClintock said. “(Cancer) runs in my family so it’s important to me to promote cancer research and treatment.”

Bell said committee members advertise for the 12-hour main event, gather cancer survivors, and help student participants form relay teams to raise funds. The Relay Committee works with an ACS partner, Sharon Pierce.

Relay teams require at least five participants and each team member must pay $10 to put toward funding. Students can sign up for teams, create their own teams or donate money at the ACS Web site, www.relayforlife.org/vcu.

Teams are not required to raise a certain amount. Bell said relay organizers encourage teams to raise as much as possible. Teams will set up tables at the relay to raise additional funds.

“One team last year sold funnel cakes to raise money for Relay for Life,” Bell said. “They do different things, like play games.”

Mary Bird, a senior biomedical engineering major and 2010 event chair, said the day of the relay begins with an opening ceremony, followed by a single-survivors lap and a separate caregivers lap. Teams are encouraged to walk laps throughout the day.

Bird said the peak of the evening is the Luminary Ceremony: Relay participants will light luminaries around the field in honor of those who have passed away from cancer. The Luminary Ceremony also raises money (luminaries cost $10).

Bird said in addition to student volunteers, VCU faculty participate.

“We have quite a few faculty members here on campus who are supportive of students doing (the relay) and form their own faculty teams,” Bird said.

The fundraising goal for the casino night was $1,000.

“We wanted to make it something fun that allowed students to come out and play poker and some games and get a good meal, and at the same time do something for raising awareness about the event,” Bird said.

Relay for Life at VCU takes place at the Cary Street Field each April and involves students, faculty and staff in teams that raise money for the fight against Cancer.