Type: private, coeducational
Founded: 1891. Changed name from Drexel Insititute of Technology to Drexel University in 1970 Current Enrollment: about 20,000
Basketball team (15-12, 10-5) Tied with William & Mary for fourth in the CAA:
Latest results: Beat Delaware Saturday by a score of 68-60. Jamie Harris led the way for the Dragons, scoring a game-high 21 points.
Coach: Bruiser Flint – St. Joseph’s University ‘87 (ninth season at Drexel (148-120))
2008-2009 Record: 15-14, 8-5
CAA Projected Starting Lineup: (F): # 44 Darryl McCoy – 1.4 ppg (F): # 45 Samme Givens – 8.2 ppg (G): # 32 Derrick Thomas – 6.5 ppg (G): # 11 Gerald Colds – 9.6 ppg (G): #12 Jaime Harris – 14.7 pp
Virginia Commonwealth University
Location: Richmond, Va.
Type: Public Founded: 1968 (Merger of Richmond Professional Institute and Medical College of Virginia) Current Enrollment: about 32,000
Basketball Team (17-7, 9-6) – Sixth in the CAA
Latest results: Lost at James Madison by a score of 76-71 on Saturday. The loss was VCU’s second straight road loss and, with W&M’s upset of Northeastern and Drexel’s win over Delaware, set the Rams in sole possession of sixth in the CAA.
Coach: Shaka Smart – Kenyon College ‘99 (first season at VCU) 2008-2009 record: 24-10, 14-4 CAA (won CAA regular season and CAA tournament titles) – lost in first round of NCAA tournament Projected Starting Lineup: (F): #1 Larry Sanders (F): #21 Jaime Skeen (G): #20 Bradford Burgess (G): #32 Brandon Rozzell (G): #12 Joey Rodriguez
Game Information: Date: Tues. Feb. 16 Time: 7 p.m. Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center Series History: VCU leads 9-6, last meeting on Jan. 6 in Philadelphia where Drexel won, 75-72.
– Drexel beat the Rams 75-72 in the two teams’ first meeting this season on January 6. Before that loss, VCU had beaten the Dragons five consecutive times in Philadelphia, with the last loss coming in 2002.
– Drexel’s three wins at the Siegel Center in CAA play are the most by any CAA team since the building opened. The second most is Northeastern, who has beaten the Rams two times at the corner of Broad and Harrison.
Latest posts by Sports Editor (see all)
- VCU men’s basketball knocks off No. 23 LSU in Will Wade’s return to Richmond - November 13, 2019
- Rams seek third straight win as LSU visits Siegel Center - November 12, 2019
- Wade returns to VCU as LSU coach - November 12, 2019