American, international students gain perspective in cultural exchange

Erica Terrini

News Editor

Life was full of family and friends for one native of Qatif City, located in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern region, but for a year and a half the daily routine revolves around classes and a West End home.

Hussain Alsaffar, a mechanical engineering major and student in the English Language Program in the Office if International Education, said the integration process for international students is more than practicing in the ELP environment.

Alsaffar attended the International Cultural Exchange Thursday in the Franklin Street Gym. He said the cultural exchange was an example of the kinds of opportunities that help international students meet American students and learn about their culture.

“I find it hard to meet friends,” Alsaffar said. “We have different customs and traditions. How you introduce yourself is different.”

Alsaffar said his life in Qatif City was not that different than the lives of American students.

“I worked from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m., hung with friends, maybe went to the gym or bowling and hung with family,” Alsaffar said. “Here, when I’m done with classes I leave downtown to my home in the West End and study.”

Alsaffar said he currently does not work and lives with his brother.

ELP Instructor, Lucia Parsley organized the cultural exchange. She said for some international students the transition to a new country could be difficult.

“We really want our students our students to interact with active students,” Parsley said.

The ELP offers other activities for international students outside of their classes including a coffee hour each week and trips once a month.

Su Jin Lee, a business major and first year student in the ELP program from Seoul, South Korea, said normally it is difficult for international students to make American friends but activities like the cultural exchange make it easier.

“There’s no opportunity to (understand) each other,” Lee said.

Bella Yang, an accounting major and second year student in the ELP program from Gui Yang, China said the ELP program is useful but not nearly as enjoyable as the extracurricular activities.

“(The cultural exchange) was interesting but other days it’s stressful,” Yang said. “The class is too long.”

However, Michelle Silva, a graduate student and ELP student from Porto Alegre, Brazil, said she likes the ELP program because she is dedicated to improving her English.

Alsaffar said he thinks the ELP program needs to improve and provide more opportunities for ELP students to meet American students.

“Here I can learn new things but I hope to make friends to learn more about culture, the United States and how people think,” Alsaffar said.