SPORTS, Breaking News: Gavin to leave VCU

Taylor Howsmon/Sports Editor
According to the VCU athletic department, Redshirt-Sophomore guard Jay Gavin (Seat Pleasant, MD/Marist University) is leaving the VCU Men’s basketball program citing personal reasons.

“Jay has made the decision that it is in his best interest to leave our team,” Head Coach Shaka Smart. “As a coaching staff, we appreciate Jay’s efforts and contributions during his time as a Ram. We wish him nothing but the best for his future.”

The 6’2″ guard started VCU’s first seven games of the season, but since has seen limited playing time.
Despite the limited role, Gavin averaged 14 minutes per game scoring 5.6 points and shot 34 percent from the three-point line.

The Redshirt-Sophomore scored in double figures in VCU’s first three games, including a game-high 20 points in the Rams’ historic home win over Oklahoma.

Since being taken out of the starting line up, Gavin has only seen mop-up time including VCU’s win over Towson, in which he came off the bench late to score 14 points.

There is no word on what Gavin’s next step would be, but it has been speculated upon that he would transfer to a division-II school so to not lose another year of eligibility.

The Rams take on Old Dominion at the Stuart C. Siegel Center, tomorrow at 4 p.m.