Laptops for sale in VCU’s future

Specialized laptop computers will be available to students through the university this fall.

The new laptops are part of a program under VCU’s Student Computer Initiative, which is designed to keep students engaged with cutting-edge technology.

Kari Scott is an administrative assistant at VCU Technology Services.

For more information,
look up the SCI at
http://www.vcu.edu/sci.

“VCU can expect a 50 to 60 percent (student) participation rate in the first year of the new program,” Scott said. “Each year we have parents who get really scared about buying computers, so we want people to use what we give them.”

Scott said the new laptops will meet the Fall 2007 computer specifications, which will be finalized in mid-February.

Newer, portable models will have more features and integrated wireless networking. VCU’s laptops will be made by Lenovo, formerly of IBM, and will come in three models: two laptops or a high-end tablet computer.

“We looked at what other schools were doing,” Scott said.

The initiative found other schools participating in bulk computer distribution.

Yearly tuition at Wake Forest University covers the cost to issue each student a laptop and a printer. Students at the University of Virginia, on the other hand, can buy computers equipped with basic applications from the school itself.

The Educause Center for Applied Research conducted a national survey in 2006 regarding student use, skill and ownership of information technology. Results stated while nearly 98 percent of students own a computer, almost 66 percent of those students own laptops. Nearly 77 percent of freshmen own laptops.

Patterned after U.Va’s program, the laptops will come with antivirus software and at least one gigabyte of RAM to accommodate Vista, Microsoft’s brand-new operating system. Certain financial aid packages will cover the computer cost, Scott said.

Scott also said students will be able to purchase the laptops at a discount, saving them trips to retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City.

VCU will offer a warranty and protection for the computers to endure a typical four-year college career, unlike most warranties that only cover one to three years.

An on-campus service center will repair laptops when needed. Students can receive loaner computers if repairs take too long.

The initiative also includes the widespread use of Blackboard as well as the expansion of VCU’s wireless network throughout the campus.