Sports Briefs

Rams finish 2-1 at tournament

VCU wrapped up the Milwaukee City Centre Volleyball Kick-Off with a victory, sweeping North Dakota State 3-0 Saturday, Aug. 27. The Rams opened the tournament by defeating Pacific 3-1, but fell to host Marquette 3-1 at the Al McGuire Center.

Junior middle blocker Jaclyn Orlando (Clinton Twp., Mich.) was a part of six of VCU’s 10 blocks in the final game. Freshman Cat Juson (Houston, Texas) served three aces and had 15 assists for the Rams.

Junior Ludmila Francescatto (Fraiburgo, Brazil), an outside hitter, had a match-high 20 kills, 17 digs and three aces to propel the Rams’ upset of Pacific.

Lopez is second all-time

Senior Griselle Lopez Pereira (Caguas, Puerto Rico) moved past former Rams standout Suzanne Dawson as VCU’s second all-time leader in digs.

Lopez Pereira had 49 digs in three games at the Milwaukee City Centre Volleyball Kick-Off and was named a member of the all-tournament team.

Dawson tallied 1,617 digs in her career, which spanned from 1992-95. Lopez Pereira trails only Cindy O’Brien, who amassed 1,740 digs, in the university’s record book.

Doles headed to Netherlands

Michael Doles, a former VCU basketball standout, signed a contract to play for the MPC Capitals, a professional team based in Groningen, The Netherlands.

Last season Doles was second on the team and sixth in the conference with a 14.9 points per game average and was named to a second-team all-Colonial Athletic Association.

He posted double-digit scoring efforts in the final 24 games of his collegiate career and led VCU to a bid in the National Invitational Tournament. In 2004 Doles led VCU to a CAA title and a spot in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament.

Oduro is on trophy watch list

Senior forward Dominic Oduro (Accra, Ghana) is one of 25 players on the Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy watch list.

Oduro, who led the Rams with 16 goals and 33 points last season, was named a first-team All-American by “Soccer America” and a second-team all-American by “College Soccer News.”

The list is compiled by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.