Believable play with pathos

The unrequited love of Cyrano, the failure of Christian to romance Roxanne on his own and the pure stupidity of Roxanne to not recognize that a different voice belonged to a different person are all flaws that help make the love triangle in “Cyrano de Bergerac” work.

Cyrano (David Bridgewater) suffers from unrequited love for his cousin Roxanne but is filled with disgust and sorrow because of his own ugliness. Cyrano feels that the object of his affection could not be interested in him because of his long nose.

Roxanne (Erin Thomas) tells her cousin Cyrano about her love for a wonderful man. At first he thinks she loves him, but instead she harbors feelings for Christian de Neuvillette (David Winning).

After Christian challenges Cyrano to a duel, the two men begin to work together to help Christian romance Roxanne. At first Christian thinks he has learned enough, and he urges Cyrano to let him romance her on his own. So he does. Roxanne asks Christian to talk of love. His repetition of “I love you” tires her and just as she prepares to dismiss him the two men switch places and it is Cyrano who speaks the words that enamor her.

After a message informs Roxanne that Cyrano and Christian’s troupe are headed to war, she marries Christian and asks that he write her every day.

When Roxanne surprises Christianby coming to see him she confesses to her husband that it was the soul she saw from the letters that she loves. Christian, fed up with the masquerade, asks her if she would love him if he were ugly. She assures him she would.

Will Cyrano admit to Roxanne that he loves her? Will Christian die? How will the love triangle end?

“Cyrano de Bergerac”
Barksdale Theatre
1601Willow Lawn Drive
Through Nov. 14.
Tickets are $34 for students.