Rams shut out Flames to continue winning streak

With eight wins in the last nine games, the VCU Women’s Soccer team has started to pull away from the rest of the field in the CAA conference.

The Rams have not allowed a single goal in conference play, outscoring opponents 10-0. As a warm-up for four tough road games in the next two weeks, Tuesday’s non-conference 2-0 win over in-state rival Liberty was the Rams fifth straight.

Midfielder Sandra Anger scored her fifth goal of the season off of a direct kick in the 15th minute to give VCU the lead in the first half. Anger has five assists as well on the season.

The defense continued its string of shutouts, putting together almost a month of solid goaltending and tenacious defense. The last time the Rams allowed a goal was in the second half of their loss to American on Sept. 16.

Freshman midfielder Shelley Lyle scored her third goal in two games six minutes into the second half, and the Rams controlled possession and halted Liberty’s offense the rest of the way. Lyle’s goal came off of a rebound of Hedda Gardsjord’s shot. Gardsjord received credit for the assist. Goalkeeper Lauren Hardison stopped three Flames’ shots, good enough for her third complete shutout.

The Rams are one of two undefeated teams left in the CAA. The other is familiar foe William and Mary, with a record of 2-0-2. Four of the Rams’ next five games are against conference foes on the road.

VCU hosts Longwood College on Saturday. They are 2-10 on the season, with wins over Barton College and Georgia Southern.

Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.