Sports Briefs

Appalachian State shuts out Rams field hockey at season opener

Without a completed home field, the Rams field hockey team opened the fall season with a 2-0 shut-out loss to Appalachian State Saturday, at Appalachian State University’s Kidd Brewer Stadium.

The Rams searched for a hole in the Mountaineers’ goalkeeper’s defense – who blocked 10 shots after the intermission – but came up empty. VCU senior Abby Stiles stopped six scoring opportunities from ASU, but couldn’t fend off the barrage of shots.

Thunderstorms rock women’s soccer season opener

The women’s soccer team’s season-opening game versus the Richmond Spiders was postponed Saturday, Aug. 30 because of thunderstorms. The two teams will reschedule at a date yet to be determined.

Rams come back after disappointing loss

After a disappointing loss to Appalachian State University, the Rams field hockey team redeemed themselves by coming back to beat St. Louis 4-3, Sunday afternoon.

The Rams trailed 3-2 with less than six minutes to play when VCU was awarded a penalty shot. Senior Jennifer Howard beat the St. Louis Billikens’ goaltender, tying the score 3-3.

Howard went on to score the game-winning goal with 2:23 remaining on the clock, marking the score 4-3. The Billikens rallied, but couldn’t match the Rams’ defense.

Field Hockey returns to Richmond at the improved Cary Street Field 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 9., when the Rams face Liberty.

Women’s soccer stops UNC Asheville in their tracks

Inclement weather delayed the women’s soccer team from starting the season against the Richmond Spiders on Aug. 30, but the Rams were ready to face UNC at Sports Backers Stadium Tuesday. The Rams exploded in the first period, netting 5 goals. Jen Parsons recorded her second career hat trick when she scored two goals in the second period to top off her first period goal. The Rams shut out the Bulldogs 7-0 in the end; Chrissy Lloyd made one save for the Rams.

Rams volley for wins, losses at High Point Invitational

The volleyball team started the season with a 3-1 win early in the High Point Invitational, against Appalachian State. Match two of the day pitted VCU against Georgia State, but the Panthers came out on top, beating the Rams 2 games to 1.

VCU went on to play host team High Point on day two of the tournament, the first match of the day. The Rams improved their record with 3 wins out of 4 games over High Point, placing the team 2-1 in the overall standings. During the final challenge of the day VCU played Georgia Southern,but despite a team high of .333 hits, they could not take the win.