Dinner and a Movie: The Wedding Singer

“The Wedding Singer” has to be Adam Sandler’s best comedy because it has his specific brand of humor with more great songs, unforgettable fashions and ’80’s references than any other movie.

Sandler stars as sweet Robbie Hart, who has recently been jilted at the alter and has a hard time going back to singing at weddings. He begins to fall for Julia (Drew Barrymore), who is engaged, when she asks for his help to plan her wedding.

When Julia and Robbie are together on-screen they make you love them. Robbie singing to Julia on the airplane at the end of the film is one of those great movie moments when you see a comedian as more than a knee-slapping jokester.

Although Julia is similar to most characters that Barrymore plays, somehow this one sticks out. The sensitive, sweet girl routine works for her, she can pull it off with a great deal of sincerity that most young actresses would kill for.

The great thing about “The Wedding Singer” is the smaller characters who can afford to be over-the-top goofy. One of those classic characters has to be George (Alexis Arquette), who is a member of Robbie’s band and only sings Culture Club songs. He pretties himself up so nicely that most of the men that he sings to, most notably Steve Buscemi as Dave, adore him. And his perky background singing as Sandler moans through, “Holiday,” at his first gig after the breakup is hilarious.

Sammy (Allen Covert) is another non-starring character that makes “The Wedding Singer” great. His red Michael Jackson coat alone is worth the price of the rental.

There are some ’80’s references that look like they are obviously just thrown in there, which are reminiscent of “That 80’s Show.” Every movie set in the ’80’s does not need to have a Rubik’s cube in it.

Billy Idol’s pearls of wisdom and the man selling Robbie a plane ticket who has an A Flock of Seagulls hairdo are some of my favorite moments.

A great film whether you’re single or in love, “The Wedding Singer” is a kooky romantic comedy with character.

Crumb Cake: The perfect addition to even Billy Idol’s “White Wedding”

Ingredients

2 cups granulated sugar

3 cups sifted flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cloves

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup shortening (we used half butter and half solid shortening)

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups buttermilk

1 cup chopped dates (or raisins)

1 cup nuts

1. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch pan.

Directions

In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, spices, and salt. Work in shortening as though for pie dough until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove and reserve 1 cup of crumbs for topping.

2. Add baking soda to buttermilk and stir into remaining mixture. Add dates and nuts while there are still a few dry lumps and continue stirring only until it is all moistened.

3. Pour batter into pan, sprinkle with reserved crumbs and bake in a 350 degree F oven until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean. This desert takes about 50 minutes.