Ok Go’s debut album: A diamond in the rough

The self-titled debut album from the punk rock group Ok Go is anything but ordinary. The four members of this all-male band provide a diverse collection of songs, most of which you can’t help but tap your foot. Ok Go gives its listeners a unique beat, funky tunes and original lyrics that are quite refreshing compared to other music today.

The band sings about cute girls they have a crush on and breaking up instead of guns and sex. Ok Go gives a message of “it’s cool to be a dork.” They express originality and fun in their music and lyrics. In the song “Don’t Ask Me,” the boys sing about that ever so awkward time when you meet up with an ex and don’t know how to act or what to say.

Without a doubt, the highlight of the album is the hit single “Get Over It,” which has a great amount of radio airtime and snagged the band some devoted fans. The hit song is also featured on the NFL video game Madden 2003, which gave it a lot of recognition prior to the album’s debut.

Although this CD is great, there are one or two songs that just don’t make the cut. “C-C-C Cinnamon Lips” is almost too popish to fit in with the other tracks. It makes putting Ok Go in the boy band category along with groups like 98 Degrees and N*Sync too easy. Thankfully, this only occurs once, and the boys redeem themselves with the final track, “Bye Bye Baby.”

All in all, Ok Go is for real. They play their own instruments, write their own songs and are bringing a new and welcoming twist to the world of music with their debut album.