The CT Staff

EXECUTIVE EDITOR

Zach Joachim
Zach is a senior pursuing a dual degree in print journalism and English. A proud Norfolk-ian, he enjoys long walks on the beach, English literature of the romantic period and anything pertaining to Harry Potter or baseball. Zach is an avid Red Sox and Patriots fan who can usually be found working at the Student Media Center or running along the James.

Facebook
joachimz@commonwealthtimes.org

MANAGING EDITOR

Georgia Geen
Georgia is a junior pursuing dual degrees in print/online journalism and Spanish with a certificate in Spanish/English Translation and Interpretation. When she’s feeling academic, she enjoys studying nationalism, identity, linguistics and maps. She was an editorial intern at Richmond Magazine and hopes to work one day as a foreign correspondent in Latin America (or build a house of cards with her degrees, whichever comes first). In the little free time she has, Georgia enjoys reading and doing her perfect eyebrows.

geengr@commonwealthtimes.org

NEWS EDITOR

Nia Yasmeen Tariq

Nia is pursuing a degree in mass communications with a focus in broadcast journalism, as well as a minor in psychology. After her graduation in December 2019, she plans to continue her education in pursuit of a master’s degree and get her feet wet in the field as a reporter for a local news station. One day, you will see Nia writing comedy and anchoring shows such as Weekend Update or The Daily Show. In the meantime, she will continue to fill up her schedule instead of the void and hide her mildly above-average singing voice behind the safety of her shower curtain.

Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
tariqn@commonwealthtimes.org

SPORTS EDITOR

Jessica Wetzler
Jessica is pursuing a degree in digital journalism and a minor in creative writing where she plans to graduate December 2018. She enjoys writing about sporting events at VCU as well as covering all things government in the Richmond area. She was an editorial intern at Richmond Magazine and The Henrico Citizen and now writes human interest stories for the College of Humanities and Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys trying out new Pinterest recipes and watching Game of Thrones.

sports@commonwealthtimes.org

SPECTRUM EDITOR

Katie Bashista
Katie is a senior pursuing a major in journalism and a minor in political science. She enjoys writing about current events, especially regarding anything that’s happening in Richmond. She hopes to someday write for a major publication in a big city. When she’s not writing you can find her at a local Richmond show or trying out a new recipe she found on Facebook.

Facebook | LinkedIn
bashistakp@commonwealthtimes.org

OPINIONS EDITOR

Caitlin Barbieri

Caitlin is a senior majoring in print/online journalism. She is currently pursuing a Fulbright scholarship to teach English in Colombia after graduation. Caitlin hopes to become a Latin American correspondent for a major American news outlet. She can be seen biking all over Richmond on a bike that is slightly too big for her, so if you see her crash be sure to stop and check that everything is okay.

barbieric@commonwealthtimes.org

COPY EDITOR

Saffeya Ahmed

Saffeya is a senior pursuing dual degrees in print journalism and political science. After she graduates, she plans to continue her career in journalism, hopefully as an international crisis reporter. In her free time, you can find her painting, writing poetry or watching Friends.

ahmedss2@vcu.edu

PHOTO AND MULTIMEDIA EDITOR

Erin Edgerton
Erin is an expert in photographic processes and social media management. Currently an intern at RVA Magazine, this is her third year working for the CT, second as photo editor and first as multimedia editor. Erin enjoys photographing weddings, wearing pineapple button downs, eating tacos and telling people why she’s right — which she always is. You can usually find Erin working at Quirk hotel, getting patronized on the sidelines of basketball games or running around photographing all sorts of things such as impounded scooters or sketchy nightclubs.

edgertonee@commonwealthtimes.org

ONLINE EDITOR

Kayleigh Fitzpatrick
Kayleigh is second-degree junior majoring in Nursing. She earned her first BA in Journalism from the University of Georgia in 2010, where she wrote for The Red & Black, serving as sports editor and Edit0r-in-Chief amongst other roles. When she isn’t in scrubs, she can usually be found in the library attempting to read her nursing textbooks and not procrastinate. An ink-stained wretch to the core, she is continuing on the never-ending pursuit of adding to her press pass collection.

fitzpatrickk@commonwealthtimes.org

ILLUSTRATIONS EDITOR

Steck Von

Steck is a senior pursuing a degree in Graphic Design. He is also a freelance illustrator, he has been doing illustrations for the CT for two years, he focuses on graphical and editorial illustration and comics. He loves Asian food and Hats. Check out his works on Instagram: von075
steckvon@gmail.com

SPECIAL PROJECTS DIRECTOR

Fadel Allasan
allassanfg@commonwealthtimes.org

Staff Writers

Adam Cheek, Sports
cheekan@mymail.vcu.edu

Sam Goodrich, Spectrum

After submitting as a contributing writer for a year, Sam became The Commonwealth Time’s resident film critic. He now spends most of his time watching or writing about movies. When he’s not doing that, he’s watching other people talk about movies. Somewhere in between, Sam goes to his classes on his journey towards earning an English degree. Sam is always willing to talk about any nerdy subject, be it the importance of horror films on pop culture, or why YouTube is the future of media, for better or worse.
goodrichs@commonwealthtimes.org

STAFF COLUMNIST

Shaun Jackson
jacksonsk@commonwealthtimes.org

GRAPHIC DESIGNERS

Ryan Rich
Ryan is 6’2” and 170 pounds. He is a Leo, but for the record doesn’t think that has any bearing on his life at all. [Editor’s note: his managing editor thinks he is wrong.] He enjoys cooking, cartooning, making cocktails and playing with his cat Scott.

Kim Peters

Kim is a junior in the graphic design department, with a minor in craft and material studies. She is the junior representative on VCU’s AIGA board and a member of MoB studio (a non-profit design center). Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Kim is now happy to call Richmond home. Her outside interests include camping, caving and contemplating adopting a cat.

Mai-Phuong Bui

Jeffrey Pohanka

designers@vcustudentmedia.com

In the News

Deadly weather strikes central Virginia, VCU spared from path

September 20, 2018

At least one person has died, another was left injured and several buildings were destroyed when one of at least seven tornadoes in the surrounding area tore through Hull Street in Midlothian. Multiple tornadoes are confirmed to have touched down in areas across Chesterfield, Henrico, Richmond and Powhatan on Monday Read More

Community raises awareness for National Recovery Month

September 20, 2018

Chip Lauterbach Contributing Writer September marks National Recovery Month in the U.S. — the goal of which is to educate the population, promote a healthy lifestyle and provide assistance to those who battle addiction issues and mental health-related struggles. There are many recovery-related efforts in full swing in the Richmond Read More

Student housing, VCU expansion prominent in Pres. Rao roundtable

September 20, 2018

Georgia Geen Managing Editor VCU President Michael Rao answered student questions regarding upperclassmen on-campus housing, university expansion, branding and other topics at a Sept. 17 roundtable. Hosted by the Student Government Association, about 20 students attended the hour-long event. Rao, in addition to student government members, expressed a desire to Read More

RVA Catholics gather for atonement Mass in light of Pa. scandal

September 20, 2018

Rezvan Egi Contributing Writer Members of the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart celebrated a Mass of Atonement Friday to recognize the people affected by decades of sexual abuse recently uncovered in the Pennsylvania Catholic church system. In August 2018, a Pennsylvania grand jury reported thousands of cases of sexual abuse Read More

Faster internet, improved cell service to be implemented at VCU

September 19, 2018

Sebastian Grant Contributing Writer VCU will improve campus internet connectivity and cellular network capabilities in the coming weeks. This internet overhaul began recently, as the university’s MARIA Circuit — the external network connection provided by the Mid-Atlantic Research Infrastructure Alliance — was multiplied tenfold, according to Alex Henson, VCU’s chief Read More

A progressive group wants Confederate flag gone from the Capitol

September 19, 2018

Fadel Allassan Special Projects Director Sebastian Grant Contributing writer A progressive group which takes credit for a successful push to remove a photo of notorious white supremacist Jason Kessler from Virginia’s Capitol weeks ago now wants a Confederate flag out of the building. The flag has been part of a Read More

Arts & Culture

What’s Happening: Events Calendar

September 19, 2018

See something Sunday, Sept. 23, 1:30 p.m., The Byrd (2908 W. Cary St.) L’Avventura presented by VCUarts Cinematheque As part of VCUarts Cinema Michelangelo Antonioni’s showcase, Cinematheque will present the 1960 Italian classic “L’Avventura.” The film will be projected on 35mm. Free admission. Do something Thursday, Sept. 20, 5-10 p.m., Read More

Virginia PrideFest empowers LGBTQIA community

September 19, 2018

Brown’s Island will soon be the site of celebration when Virginia PrideFest 2018 rolls into town Sept 22. The free, family-friendly festival focuses on the empowerment of the LGBTQIA community in Richmond and throughout Virginia. Attended by more than 30,000 people last year, it is the Commonwealth’s largest LGBTQIA celebration. Read More

Shane Black’s “The Predator” preys on your nostalgia

September 19, 2018

Reviving ‘80s action hero classics seems to be the new norm in Hollywood. Many of these revivals, however, fail to garner the same admiration the originals earned. When Shane Black, screenplay writer for 1987 sci-fi thriller “Predator,” was set to helm 2018’s soft reboot “The Predator,” many expected a return Read More

Coming Up: Events Calendar

September 15, 2018

Learn something Saturday, Sept. 15 Foam Rolling Workshop — 10-11 a.m. —Richmond Wellness — $10 — Join Richmond Wellness and Muscle + Bone to discover the benefits of foam rolling and learn how to properly do so in order to decrease your risk of injury and replenish your muscles. Sunday, Read More