Grand Theft Ambulance: student charged with DUI, grand larceny

Photo courtesy of Henrico PD.

Updated April 20th 2015

Sarah King
News Editor

The student whom VCU Police charged with felony grand larceny last Sunday for stealing an ambulance from the VCU Medical Center was arraigned in Richmond on Friday, and his case will be continued on May 7.

Local police arrested Ryan Kovacik, who turned 21 the morning of the incident, for allegedly stealing an ambulance while intoxicated around 3:30 a.m. on April 12. According to the VCU PD arrest report, the 2007 CHEV ambulance Kovacik stole is valued at $50,000.

Kovacik was charged with felony grand larceny and misdemeanor driving while intoxicated after taking Lakeside Volunteer Rescue Squad’s unit 16 while the crew was inside the hospital transferring patient care.

“At 3:22 a.m. the VCU Police Department received a report that an ambulance parked at 401 N. 12th St. was missing,” said VCU PD public information officer Corey Byers. “The vehicle had reportedly been left running at the time it was taken.”

Shortly after, Henrico County Police stopped the ambulance on Lakeside Avenue. Henrico County Police public information officer Lieutenant Chris Eley said the driver, identified as Kovacik, was found to be intoxicated and charged with driving under the influence and possession of stolen property.

“In connection with this incident VCU Police are charging Ryan Kovacik with grand larceny,” Byers said. “VCU Police refers all student arrests to VCU’s Division of Student Affairs for possible disciplinary action.”

Byers said security camera footage and further information regarding the university disciplinary process could not be released at this time.

Kovacik’s arraignment for misdemeanor driving while intoxicated took place last Monday in Henrico County, and he is out on bond until his April 27 hearing.