Sports Briefs

Women’s soccer

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The VCU Rams extended their winning streak Friday night with a 1-0 shutout over the UNC Wilmington Seahawks.

Last night was the team’s 14th consecutive win in regular season conference play dating back to 2004, moving the team to 5-2-2 on the season, and 1-0 in the CAA this year.

The only score of the game came off the foot of junior captain Hayley Moorwood (Auckland, New Zealand) in the 69th minute. Moorwood rebounded a shot off the goal and easily tapped it past Seahawks goalkeeper Jamie Balzarini.

This was the fourth shutout of the season for the Rams junior goalkeeper Lauren Hardison (Midlothian/Clover Hill HS).

The Rams finished the night with 15 shots on goal to the Seahawks’ eight.

The next game is Friday at 7 p.m. in Sports Backers Stadium where they will face University of Delaware.

Volleyball

FAIRFAX – The VCU Rams extended their losing streak to three games, dropping a 3-1 (30-28, 30-27, 26-30, 30-28) contest to the George Mason Patriots in Linn Gymnasium on Friday.

The loss moved the Rams to 6-6 on the season and to 2-3 in the conference.

Seniors Ludmila Francescatto (Fraiburga, Brazil), Melissa Peterson (Ganado, Arizona), and Renata Salvatori (Londrina, Brazil) had the kind of game that reminded fans of last year’s 1st place finish in the CAA conference tournament.

The Rams play a conference game against William & Mary at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the Siegel Center’s Alltel Pavilion before heading to Brooklyn, N.Y. this weekend to play in the Long Island Blackbird Challenge.

Golf

The VCU Rams varsity golf team will begin their second tournament of the fall season today in Ruther Glen.

The VCU Mattaponi Springs Intercollegiate shootout runs Sept. 25 and 26.

The team placed fourth in the Sept. 11 Mid Pines Intercollegiate tournament, with a team score of 859. The Rams fell ten points short of Old Dominion University and Wichita State University, who tied for second place.

University of Wisconsin won the tournament with 247 points.

VCU’s Lanto Griffin (Blacksburg/Blacksburg HS), who had 209 points, was tied with two other players for fourth place in the final top 20 players of the tournament.

The next tournament, the Ping/Golfweek Preview, is October 2-4 in Williamsburg.