Pitching duel with VMI yields VCU win

VCU hurlers Matt Prendergast and Brian Marshall combined for a five-hit shutout against Virginia Military Institute Tuesday night for a 1-0 win.

Fans at The Diamond were treated to a pitching duel between the Rams’ pitchers and the Keydets’ sophomore starter Jimmy Thoms.

Prendergast gave up five hits and struck out six VMI batters in seven innings to earn the victory. Prendergast’s personal record is now 4-0. Marshall relieved Prendergast in the eighth to earn his ninth save of the season, retiring six of the seven Keydets he faced.

Despite the loss, Thoms threw a two-hit ballgame against the Rams earning eight strikeouts, while pitching the complete game. Thoms had a no-hitter going into the bottom of the seventh when VCU junior third baseman Anthony Granato hit a single. Granato then advanced on a sacrifice from pinch-hitter Roel Koolen and then scored as a result of two wild pitches from Thoms.

The Keydets left seven on base in the first three innings, eleven for the entire game, but were unable to get anyone across the plate. In the top of the second, VMI came close to scoring with singles by sophomore first baseman Jon Wade, senior second baseman Jason Annis and an error that put sophomore shortstop Matt Smith on base. With only one out and the bases loaded, Prendergast struck out the next two batters to keep the game scoreless.

The Rams moved up to 30-10 with the win, and are currently in a four game win streak. The Keydets fell to 14-22 with the loss.

On Friday, the Rams will travel to Delaware for a three game series. The first game starts at 3 p.m.